Saturday, June 11, 2011

All a Matter of Perspective

  The last couple of weeks have been a little tough for me, in that I've been feeling "burned out" or "overwhelmed" or SOMETHING.

  There has been a great deal on my mind.  My semi-annual decluttering frenzy has hit. I've been trying to work through tubs of clothes and am getting rid of some things. We have many, many clothes.  It makes sense to give away those things we can't use or have too many of.

   I also want to wash all the floors, wash some walls, organize cupboards, and so on.  The children can help with these tasks somewhat, but I need to make the decision of when to do what.

  Washing floors is interesting, especially "high traffic" floors. I don't want a little one slipping on a floor, obviously, so it is best to wash floors when the littles are busy.  The best time to do that kind of work is really after bed, but I'm usually too tired by bedtime to tackle washing floors.

   I'm also reading up on learning disabilities and trying to determine how best to meet the needs of our boys. Both have handwriting "glitches".

  So, lots going on.  But then this morning, I came across the following blog:

http://www.fromthebanksofjordan.blogspot.com/

   Jessica writes it.  Jessica and her husband have 2 children. The elder, a sweet little girl named Eithene Rose is almost 5 and is entering hospice care.  Eithene was born with many medical issues and has spent most of her life in the hospital. Her parents have decided that it is time to stop the fight and let their sweet girl slip into the arms of Jesus.

  As a mom, I can't imagine the agony of making such a decision. As a mom, it breaks my heart to think of this other mom and dad watching their little girl die.  When I think about Eithene Rose, I realize how blessed we are with healthy children. 
 
  So for me, the perspective helps and today I've been calmer.  I definitely have many important things on my plate.  But in most ways, all is well.  Our children are growing and maturing.  Our children are learning about Jesus, their Savior and Redeemer.  Yes, we're struggling with some academic challenges and minor medical issues.  Yes, our kids are sinners and they have tantrums and fusses and generally wear me out some of  the time.  But from an eternal perspective, this is all part of a GOOD process.  We are all learning to depend on God to overcome the challenges of life, and we're not even battling the really tough "Job" like stuff.

And I am thankful.  

No comments: