Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Garden Produce

Our garden is smaller this year than last, but we are still getting lots of veggies.


It has been a GREAT year for zucchini. Most people in the family are not enthralled with plain zucchini, though they will eat it.  I dice it and cook it in margerine.  But they all love zucchini bread and we've made a fair amount of that as well.   Kevin cooked some on the grill last weekend and I heard good reports (I was out of town so didn't eat it myself.)

 We also have a number of squash.


These were the first green beans of the year.  They were planted late, and are finally ready to pick.  Fresh green beans with bacon are SO SO tasty.  We're excited.

I don't have a picture of our tomatoes, but we are getting boatloads.  I am the only one in the family who likes raw tomatoes.  Kevin loathes them.  I can't eat a million tomatoes, so I am freezing most of them. I just core them and toss them in freezer bags, and I'll use them for stews and soups through the winter and spring.

We've gotten a lot of cucumbers as well, but they have been bitter lately. I am not sure why.  Anyone know?

1 comment:

♥ Naomi ♥ said...

Maybe because they are too old? Or it might be because the bugs are attacking them...