Saturday, October 1, 2011

Review: Simple Science Experiments with Everyday Materials by Muriel Mandell

 
I was complaining commenting a few days ago that I don't like most "experiments at home" books because they require esoteric ingredients that I don't have around the house, even though the books assume that I do.

I was going through my shelves last week, and came across this little gem.  There are many experiments in it that really and truly use simple materials.

I've been trying to do at least an experiment a day with our son Joseph, age 7.  He is a science nut and I realized we needed to do something fun to mitigate the struggles he is having with reading and math.

The experiments have been a hit. 



Here is a fun one!  I put 1 inch of water in the cup.  I cut a long strip of paper towel and put the bottom inch of the towel in the water.  I dripped one drop of green food coloring about an inch above the water line.  Then we walked away.

When we came back 15 minutes later, the water had wicked up the paper towel and was carrying the food coloring with it.  But here is the really fun part...green food coloring is made of yellow and blue dyes mixed together. And blue wicks faster than yellow. So the green food coloring started to separate into yellow and blue!  You can see the blue clearly, the yellow much  less clearly.

I have been praying about Joseph and school, and know God answered by directing me to this book and our new approach to school. Joseph is only just 7 years old.  I want him to find school interesting, not drudgery.  These science experiments are helping.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

This is one we were supposed to do with Botany - using green coloring from a leaf and alcohol but we couldn't get it to work :(

Sarah