Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Trip to the Air Force Museum

We live near the United State Air Force Museum.  Yesterday, I bundled all the kids into the giant van and we went to the museum.

When we got there, the parking lot was full of large vehicles, even some 15 passenger vans like ours.  That seemed odd. There were a number of large families heading into the museum with us.

When we stepped through the doors, a courteous museum volunteer mentioned that it was Homeschool Day!  Ok, I didn't know that. 

In actual fact, I wasn't delighted. There were a great many people at the museum and that made it a bit harder to keep track of my children. There were wonderful classes going on for homeschoolers, but I hadn't signed up ahead of time for them, obviously.

But still, we had a great trip. And it was fun seeing all those homeschoolers roaming around.  I fell into conversation with a fellow homeschooling mom who has 9 children. She and her husband have 2 year old twins AND 3 year old twins!  Ok, I thought I was busy.  But of course she is delighted and said it is great fun that the little ones each have a twin to play with.


Angela in space!


The children were able to walk through the body of this military aircraft.  There were oxygen cylinders lined up and various other paraphernalia.  And it was bright yellow!  So cheerful!


  This time around, I found a couple of annexes of the museum I had never seen before.  The first annex had Cold War military aircraft.  The second annex had space vehicles like this one.


Isn't it impressive?  That's Lydia standing in front of it.


The museum is free, but they have this ride where passengers sit in what appears to be a cockpit -- and it isn't free.  There is a giant screen and the ride moves around.  I splurged and let the kids go on it. They were excited. I tend to be a super cheap mom (kind of need to be with our family size) but I decided to go for it.  The tickets were cheaper because it was Homeschool Day, so we benefited from HD that way!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I keep going if I see the parking lot looks full :D I'm actually thinking of going on Friday but we'll see.