Saturday, December 10, 2011

Feeding Issues


  Look at that face!  Isn't she priceless?

  Ok, back to the regularly scheduled blog...

  Sarah has some feeding problems. I think I've mentioned them before...she doesn't self feed very well.  As of a few weeks ago, if I threw a cracker or baby puffs on her tray, she wouldn't eat them consistently.   That seemed odd since she does gum books and toys.

 Well, I've figured out a few things.  Sarah has some food allergies.  I learned of the first one when she started rejecting cow's milk formula.  I weaned her at 9 months as my milk supply was failing.  She drank cow's milk formula for a few days, then the next day started pushing the bottle away from her.  I forced a little into her and she broke out on her face with hives.  Ok, she's allergic to cow's milk.  No huge surprise, as 3 of her older sibs were allergic to milk as infants (2 of them have completely outgrown that allergy.)

 Then the same thing happened with eggs.  I fed her eggs a couple of times, no problem. One day, she started pushing eggs away. And her face broke out. Ok, she's allergic to eggs (Naomi was as an infant.  She outgrew it.)

  A couple of weeks ago, she happily grabbed a cracker and ate it.  The next day, she did it again. Then she wouldn't eat them anymore.

  I tried baby puffs.  She ate them happily for a couple of days.  Then she wouldn't eat them again.

 So...I'm guessing she is allergic to wheat.  She hasn't actually broken out in hives, but her eczema flared up after she ate those things.  (Isaac was allergic to wheat as an infant.  He outgrew it.)

  She WILL eat cooked broccoli with her hands.  And she ate crackers and puffs for a few days.  So she can self feed. I think she just is aware when something doesn't agree with her and won't eat them after that.

 So now I'm trying to find good food for a baby who is apparently allergic to milk, eggs, and wheat.  Sigh.  We live in a place and time when stores have a myriad of good food options, so I know I'm blessed.  I bought some egg replacer at a health food store last week and will try making coconut pancakes and bread for her soon, maybe today.

  My conclusion is that she doesn't really have a gigantic oral aversion issue, she has food allergies. That is good to know. But I do need to get creative in finding more foods she can eat herself. 

Any suggestions?

No comments: