Monday, February 27, 2012

More Illness, More Chick News

I woke up at 3 a.m. Sunday morning feeling mighty peculiar, and by 4 a.m. I was throwing up. Yes, the Mighty Mama has fallen. I too contracted the hideous stomach virus.  I should know better than to get smug about not getting sick.  I've thought before, "I'm not getting this illness!  It must be my wonderful immunity!" and then gotten sick.

So yesterday, I was totally slammed.  I had a very unhappy stomach and was EXTREMELY tired. I don't even remember most of yesterday since I was sleeping through it.  I was extremely grateful that Kevin was home and able to run the household, as I wasn't capable of it.

As I lay miserably on the couch at 8 a.m., Naomi went in to check on the chicks and told me one was dead. And it was.  We are not sure what happened to it. Kevin spent quite a bit of time yesterday working on our "microclimate".  The chicks are extremely susceptible to drafts and temperature fluctuations. We have them in a room where the temps change a few degrees at night when the house gets colder.  Kevin added an electrical heater on a thermostat to that room so it was warmer last night.

There is a good chance there was something just "wrong" with that chick. The others seem fine, and keep growing madly.

Today I have not felt great but certainly  much better than yesterday.  It has been a hard day, but we've gotten through most of it.  The older 3 even did all their school -- with zero help from me.

No comments: