Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Thinking about High School

I'm sntaching some time these days to read homeschooling books that focus on, or at least mention, homeschooling high school.

First of all, we are planning to do so. I know many families choose to send their kids to a public or private school during high school.  It is obviously an option and the best one for some families.  For us, homeschooling has been a call and unless we hear differently, we are homeschooling them all the way until graduation.

It is intimating, though.  Kevin and I both have PhD's in engineering, so I'm not too worried about the actual subject matter. I can teach a lot of things and I'm confident we can figure out those areas that we don't have much experience in.  (Though I do wonder about foreign language...not sure how we will tackle that.)

I will need to get more organized about designing courses, making sure we write descriptions down, etc.  Because we do want the children to be ABLE to go to college if the Lord leads in that direction.  I'm also pondering how we will go about pursuing high school. I want the children to be able to learn according to their bent, according to their passions.  We'll need to be diligent to pray and talk about what they do find fascinating, and make opportunities for them to learn what they want and need to know.

I think my biggest stressor right now is that as the kids get older, they will probably need more time outside the home. That has always been a hard thing for us as for the last 12 years, we've had little people in the home.  And with Baby #8 on the way, that will not change soon. It is hard to keep the house organized, care for everyone, teach everyone, make sure little ones have naps and nursing sessions -- and be out and about much. Some moms find it far easier than I do, so it is partially personality.

I keep praying for wisdom. God will make a way. 

3 comments:

Sarah said...

There are a lot of resources for foreign language that can even be done by the student on their own with little input from the parent - however I've really enjoyed studying Latin with Bethanne and Spanish with all of them.

Annie Kate said...

Yes, God will make a way. And there are so many good resources.

As for time outside the home, perhaps there are one or two activities a week that would help your children and not be too stressful for you.

Our kids go to a class at church and they attend judo just down the road. Anything more stresses us, but yesterday our teens went bowling with friends from church.

If you're interested in specific resources, search my blog; I've reviewed a lot of highschool materials, and am constantly thinking about curriculum.

As for sleep, they can sleep in the evening too, if that works better. We emphasize early bedtimes, but allow sleeping in as well, since our older children have evening events.

If you’re rousting your kids out of bed at 7AM all year round, you may want to think about earlier bedtimes. In the summer we have to set rules for the littler ones that they must stay in bed until 6…so then we allow them to stay up later at night. I think flexibility is the key.

This might also help you: Our major chore time is at 5PM. And we have one child empty and fill the dishwasher after each meal, just to make sure that no one can obstruct someone else’s work. Of course, they take turns.

Blessings,

Annie Kate
http://anniekateshomeschoolreviews.com/

Debbie said...

I'm so glad you visited my blog today!

I have graduated one son from homeschool and have one to go.

You have the right idea about tailoring highschool toward their natural bent.

I kept the core subjects a must in our highschool, yet got very creative about taking his interests and turning them into facets of what society says they need (which most of, I don't agree with).

For instance, my son is a musician and was interested in recording and all the technical aspects of recording. We used recording science for his science all throughout. At 18, he opened his own recording studio! See! It pays to let them go where God is leading!

The best resource for tailor making courses is Barb Shelton's Sr. High Formula book. You can find it on CBD.com. She has some great tools and advice for making your child's highschool years really count!