Friday, April 27, 2012

We Like Muffins

Back before Sarah was conceived, I was successfully producing very interesting breakfasts.  I even had a schedule.  2 days a week we had cereal, a couple of days a week we had muffins, we had eggs some days, and oven pancakes at least once a week.

Then, I got pregnant with Sarah and I was tired.  And nauseous.  And I didn't feel like making elaborate breakfasts.

Sarah is 17 months old so that was more than 2 years ago that breakfasts got much less interesting around here.  For a while I was making eggs moderately regularly, but that got complicated as well.  Our new chickens (now frozen for dinner) never produced enough eggs for us.  So I didn't have enough eggs to make breakfast regularly.  Plus, each child likes eggs differently and it takes a long time to cook them the way everyone wants them!

So, breakfasts have been dull except for...

MUFFINS!

Modesty aside, I make a mean muffin.  I use a recipe from the Tightwad Gazette which allows me to throw various grains and additions in. My usual recipe includes 5 cups of normal flour, 1 cup of whole wheat flour, 2 cups of oatmeal, and another half cup to full cup of miscellaneous available grains.

I make some with blueberries and some with chocolate chips.  I use coconut milk or apple juice as the primary liquid, as both Sarah and Kevin have problems with cow's milk.

I make a quadruple batch and they are always gone within a few days. Those that don't get eaten at breakfast are nice afternoon snacks.

Yes, we like muffins.

No comments: