Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Pregnancy Update

I had an OB appointment yesterday. 


It was my first non stress test.  In this test, they hook up a monitor to watch the baby's heart rate.  He is supposed to move around quite a bit, and the heart rate is supposed to jump up when he moves.

He was sleeping for the first half hour though I tried to wake him up by drinking apple juice. That always got Sarah moving, but this little guy wasn't impressed.  On those rare occasions when he did move, his heart rate wasn't leaping up very high, maybe because he was asleep.

Finally, he woke up and started wiggling around, and the OB said it was an Ok test.  Not great, but Ok.  She told me that there were a few "decels" in the heart rate when it went down instead of up.  I don't exactly know what that means, but she ordered an immediate ultrasound to check that my amniotic fluid was sufficient.  I got right in after my appointment with the OB was done, which was nice! And yes, my amniotic fluid is just fine.

The other sort of bizarre news was that I gained a bunch of weight in the last 2 weeks...5 lbs!  I am 172 lbs!  My previous maximum was 167, with my first two pregnancies.  It isn't a big deal except that rapid weight gain can be a sign of preelampsia. I doubt I have that problem, but my blood pressure was up a bit as well compared to normal, so the OB is going to watch it carefully. I go in 2ce a week now, from here on out.

We're guessing he'll be delivered before May 24th, but only the Lord knows exactly when.  I am just praying that this little precious boy will be born in God's perfect timing.

No comments: