Saturday, July 14, 2012

Last Piano Lesson


  Yesterday was our big girls last piano lesson with Miss Sarah.  She is leaving for college in a couple short weeks.  She has been their sitter for a couple of years when I work, and their piano teacher for a year.  It is sad to lose her but we are overjoyed that she is following God's call for the future. She is going to study music at college.  Sarah is a great singer and piano player, and a great teacher as well.  She will be missed!

  We're still praying about whether to continue piano lessons with one or both older girls.  There are other piano teachers out there and we have exchanged emails with a young man who seems a likely prospect.  But lessons are expensive...not unreasonably so, "the worker is worthy of his wages", but we need to decide whether this is the best use of money at this time.  So we're thinking through it.

 I have always regretted that I didn't stick with piano when I was young.  I gave up after a few months when I was 9 years old, because it was harder and duller than I thought it would be.  My teacher was a sweet older teen but her mode of teaching was, I think, on the boring side.  I did lots of scales at the beginning and I was frustrated that I didn't play actual songs.  Miss Sarah taught our girls differently and they have played quite a few simple songs. They have made a lot of progress in a year.

  I went through some mourning this last week thinking about the girls not pursuing piano.  Like I said, I wish that I had continued to learn piano when I was a child.  I'd kind of like to take lessons now but don't have the time.   Ok, that was and is ME.  It's not a wise thing for a parent to project her disappointments on her children. Just because I wish I could play the piano doesn't mean the children need to learn piano.  Maybe they should, maybe they shouldn't. We need to pray about it and seek the Lord's direction, not blindly move forward based on emotions.

 Our big girls learned quite a bit this year and can now read music moderately well and can play simple songs.  Perhaps that is all they need for now, or perhaps the Lord does want them to learn more.  We'll see.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I know of a lady who homeschools and I believe she is still doing lessons if you're interested? About the mourning - I went through that when we decided to no longer continue with Awana - Hannah had been in for 7 years so it's bittersweet but I think it's going to be a good choice as well as allow us to come to your house :)

Anonymous said...

Learning piano will also depends on the motivation that the piano teacher is giving to his/her student. I'm happy for your big girls because they had such a wonderful teacher. I'm sure that they will not forget all the good things that Miss Sarah taught them.

Learn Piano