Friday, September 28, 2012

Good-bye, UncleTom



Last night I had a shock...my mother left a phone message saying that one of my great-uncle's passed away.

Now, that should not have BEEN a shock. He was 94 years old! His heart was failing! But he had been so strong and so healthy that I was shocked. He lived near us and I regret not making it over to see him more often. Life has been super busy with a new baby.

He had a delightful house with many treasures, but I used to chuckle inwardly thinking about the havoc our kids would make in it if I let them out of my sight. The house was full of glass and other delicate objects. It was about as “non kid proofed” a house as you can get.

My great-uncle grew up on a farm in Michigan. What changes he has seen! As a child, his home didn’t have electricity. They had a windmill that pumped water into tanks for their animals. That old house still stands on the family farm. He and his family raised chickens and a few other animals, along with many crops. He wrote a fascinating book about his life on that farm and I treasure it.

My great-uncle was a career military man and he fought in World War II. He has written memoirs of his war experiences, which I will pull out and read again.

Good-bye, Uncle Tom.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Sorry for your loss. It's sad to see our vets from WW1 and WW2 leaving us - I wish had talked to my Grandpa more about his life before he had passed one, hopefully you can make some his treasures heirlooms for your family.

Rima Family said...

I'm also very sorry to hear of your Great Uncle's passing. No matter how "old" our loved ones are, it's never easy to have them pass away.