Sunday, September 23, 2012

Lydia's kitten


  We have a new kitten!  He is a long haired orange cat named Sunny.

 There is a story here.

  Our 2 eldest children, Naomi and Lydia, both love animals.

 Last week, we visited some friends who have 2 kittens.  We have a number of outdoor cats who are loved and treasured, but Lydia wanted a kitten.

  I told her that I didn't want a new kitten. We have a baby. We're busy.  No kitten!

  Lydia came back later and said again that she wanted a kitten.

  Ok, I said, why don't you pray for a kitten?

  Now, why did I say that?  To get her off my back?  Yes.  Because praying is the right thing to do if you long for something?  Yes.  Because it was a good way to learn that God sometimes says no? 

  Yep, that's what I was thinking.  We weren't getting a kitten, but Lydia could pray for a kitten and she could learn that sometimes God says no.

 The NEXT DAY, Kevin told me that a lady at work asked him if anyone wanted a kitten. This little guy in the picture was roaming the neighborhood and obviously didn't have a home. There was someone who was sort of taking care of it (feeding it), BUT this same someone had once "adopted" another kitten and then stopped caring for it when it grew up to be an adult.  I find that reprehensible but some people are like that.

 Clearly, this is a kitten that needs a home.  Given that I told Lydia to pray, and this kitten needs a home, I bowed to the inevitable and we agreed that we should adopt the kitten.

 Lydia is through the moon excited about the kitten, of course. And Naomi and the other children like him a lot too!

  This does involve some work and expense as we need to get him neutered and all that jazz. But I'm willing to be part of an answer to prayer :-).

  Welcome, Sunny, to our happy family.

No comments: