Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pizza by Naomi

 What's that??  Oh, Daniel's hand.

Ah, there it is!


Miriam loved it!

Ok, so some back story.  Growing up, I was blessed to be fed by a mom who was (and is) a GREAT cook.

Mom did a wonderful job teaching me how to take care of a house but for some reason, I never quite "took" to cooking. She was a great cook, I was reluctant and busy, and the sad truth is that I left home with few cooking skills. I could and did bake, but for some reason didn't even know how to cook a bag of frozen veggies!

I learned a few things in college, but marriage brought the necessity of actually learning how to cook well.  I had subsisted for years on bread and corn (not literally, but that was a common dinner for me!) but Kevin expected something a bit more nutritious and sustaining.  Our first couple of years of marriage were an easy transition, though, because Kevin did most of the cooking and I did all the dishwashing (he hates washing dishes.)

When we moved down to Ohio for Kevin to start his job, I was 6 months pregnant with Naomi and became a stay at home wife and mom.  So now I really needed to figure out that cooking thing.

And I succeeded.  I am no gourmet cook, but I cook well.

Kevin has talked repeatedly about how the children need to learn to cook, for their own sakes and to take a job off my shoulders.  Somehow, it just wasn't happening.

So Kevin had a brilliant thought-- assign the big girls a night when they needed to make a meal.  The last couple of weeks, Lydia has taken most Tuesdays and Naomi has taken most Thursdays.

So far we've not had a bad meal yet!  Yes, they've needed a little coaching, but mostly they've done it all.

Naomi's pizza was a HUGE hit, and she did a GREAT job.  We were all proud of her and excited by the meal. I was particularly touched that she made me a salad without any prompting.  I can't have pizza as it makes my blood sugar soar. 

So I'm excited about this new plan.  When Isaac is a bit older, he'll take a meal, and then Joseph, and then Miriam...well, there may be a time when I don't do any cooking at all!

No comments: