Friday, December 7, 2012

Who Can Afford a $200 Pair of Boots?

  So I was flipping through a magazine this week, one that my mother-in-law gave me.  It wasn't a "trend - setting" magazine.  It was supposed to be for normal people.  Like me.

There was a section on "must have" clothing accessories this fall.  Topping the list were $200 boots.

  Now we're not talking boots for mucking out the chicken coop or protecting one's feet in a coal mine. We are, of course, talking about fancy, stylish, trendy boots.

 For $200.

  Now really now, who among us can afford a $200 pair of boots?

  Or a clutch handbag for $100?

  Or a cute bracelet for $75?

  Or a pair of pants for $125?

 I find it ... annoying...that a magazine for normal people would come right out and say that to be a class act, you need to have expensive clothing and footwear.

  There are, of course, people who have enough money to buy such items.  There probably is someone out there with a strong desire for a $200 pair of boots and that someone saves up and gets them.  There is no problem with that.

 But the overall IDEA that we can't look good without spending a boatload of money is upsetting to me.  I think it tempts people to spend more than they have, and to feel unhappy and discontent with what they DO have.

  I'm going to be real here and say that we make six figures.  Which is a lot.

  And there is no way we can afford expensive clothing for everyone.  We can't even afford expensive for me or Kevin.  Kevin spends the most on clothing, probably, because he needs to look decent at work. But I assure you he's not spending $200 for a pair of boots, or $100 for a pair of pants.  He is a sales shopper and frugal where clothing is concerned.  As I said in a previous post, the children's clothing largely comes from thrift stores and hand me downs, and I just don't buy much clothing for me.

  We live in such a materialistic culture and it scares me how many people are spending money they haven't got to buy expensive clothes, furniture, food, etc.  It gives SUCH peace of mind to live within ones means.

  Now admittedly, it is easier for us than for many since we do make a lot.  On the other hand, we have 8 kids :-).  We do need to say no to our wants all the time.  Admittedly, saying no to a $200 pair of boots isn't a hardship for me as I don't long for such an item.

 What is hard?  Well, I love to buy homeschooling supplies, that's an area of temptation for me.  I want nicer furniture sometimes.  And yes, we do occasionally buy furniture, but it is rare. Our big girls are using a dresser I had as a child.  It is not in great shape, but it holds their clothing.  All the furniture in my room was purchased second hand or was acquired from relatives.

  Yes, I have temptations to spend when I shouldn't. I am sure we all do.  I sometimes DO buy things I shouldn't.  I'm guessing most of us do.

  The key, I guess, is to figure out the areas of weakness and think and pray when the desire for something arises in that area.
 
 

 

No comments: