Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Chess (and other Games)

 
I don't like playing chess.   Don't get me wrong, it's a great game. I know it is challenging and interesting and makes the brain cells do happy little dances. For some people.  Not me.
 
My father was, at one time, an excellent chess players. He was in chess clubs and came close to being a member of the chess club of the University of Michigan (which wasn't an easy thing to do in his day.) 
 
We have chess programs online and several of our children enjoy playing.  In the last few days, we've started having head to head tournaments between the children.  It isn't easy because of the age differences...not surprisingly, the older kids tend to do better.  Mostly, they are enjoying themselves and the losers aren't getting too bent out of shape.
 
I love this picture because it shows Lydia and Isaac playing chess, while Miriam and Angela play a card game with each other.  Playing games together is fun.  I like it when the kids play games, and should work harder to encourage it.

No comments: