Friday, March 29, 2013

The Week in Review

It was a good week but we were plenty busy.

I mentioned that Daniel is into everything.  Babyproofing and making new habits takes some time. 

On Sunday, the snow started falling.  We were privileged to host the neighbor guineas as they enjoyed a late March snowstorm from our pool fence.

That same day, Kevin worked with the children to start tomato and pepper plants.  We keep them on top of our big freezer, which is a warm place.  At least one pepper plant has come up!  No, 2 have come up (I just checked.)

Kevin also spent a good chunk of time considering our gardening plans for the summer.  He has sketched out a 50 foot by 22 foot garden (on paper) and we will have sweet potatoes, bush beans, sweet corn, pole beans, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbres, zucchini, squash, and melons.

  My personal goal is to plant some strawberry and raspberry plants.  Truthfully, I'm a lousy gardener.  I don't really know what I'm doing. But we've got land and I can read and Naomi has written a report for me on strawberries and if they die, it won't be the end of the world.  (And Kevin can help. He's a good gardener.)

 

 
By Monday, we had quite a bit of snow (4 to 5 inches).  It was enchanting, but looked more like Christmas than late March! 

A thread running through our week was a humdinger illness for sweet Lydia, our 11 year old.  She got a cold sore on Sunday, her first.  Several of us get cold sores occasionally...it is one of those tiresome viruses that, once its in the bloodstream, pops back up occasionally.  I was sorry she had contracted the virus from one of us, but didn't think too much of it until Tuesday. By then, she felt terrible with a bad sore throat, headache, exhaustion, fever, and lips covered in cold sores.  Poor darling!  We kept giving her ibuprofin and while she seemed maybe a LITTLE better, she wasn't well. Yesterday, I finally took her in to the doctor and confirmed it was the cold sore virus.  I also discovered there is an anti viral to combat this virus.  I should have taken her in earlier, poor sweet.  I'll know in the future. 

She's felt so rotten that much of the early week was spent in bed.  That meant Naomi and I (primarily) were covering for her in terms of chores and caring for Sarah. It made me appreciate how much Lydia does most of the time.  I am also very appreciative of Naomi, who has cheerfully taken on the chicken chores that Lydia usually does.


Naomi also "stepped up to the plate" by helping with the care of Daniel and Sarah this week.

And speaking of plates, the Major League baseball season starts on Monday!  I'm a Detroit Tigers fan.  Go Tigers!

No comments: