Saturday, August 10, 2013

Potty Prodigy


  Yep, this little girl is in undies! 

  Potty training is not one of my favorite parental tasks.  Necessary, but not fun.

Sarah was showing all those readiness signs the experts say to look out for. She was telling me when she was wet.  She was telling me when she was messy. She started deliberately peeing in the bathtub after her bath (yes, that's weird.) So I knew she was probably ready.  But oh, potty training!  On top of everything else, it seemed overwhelming.

  I tried once a couple of months ago and it didn't go well. I gave up after one day.

  Earlier this week, I decided to try again.  Sarah made puddle after puddle in the house.  She did use the potty occasionally, but it wasn't coming easily.

  Then 2 days ago, something clicked.  Suddenly the potty became a fun place to be. Suddenly she was running off to use the potty at every necessary time, and sometimes when she didn't need to use it :-).  I was rewarding her with small jelly beans and that was a spur but I think mostly she was just READY.

  This morning, she called me from her crib with the urgent statement "I need to use the potty."  And get this, the kid was DRY.  All night.  Yes, I think we might just have ourselves another potty prodigy.  2 of our older kids were like this, the rest...weren't.

  It is early days, of course, but the signs are good.  I'm happy.

No comments: