Tuesday, August 6, 2013

This Week in Pictures

Our garden is producing well.

 
I took the children to Krispy Kreme doughnuts yesterday. We hopped up early and got there around 8:20 a.m., only to be told they were done making doughnuts for the day :-(.  The whole point of the trip was to watch the doughnuts being made (oh yeah, and eat doughnuts, but that was the non educational part of the trip.)  The apologetic guy behind the counter said MOST days they make doughnuts 'til 10 a.m., but yesterday they got done early. He did run a batch of plain doughnuts through the glazer for us, and later another batch went through. I asked the children if they'd like to get up with me at 5 a.m. and go to Krispy Kreme and a couple of kids were enthusiastic.  I really could do it but I suspect they'd be less excited about getting up when the time came.



After the Krispy Kreme trip, we headed over to a park.  It has quite a vast number of play structures. The children had a great time.  A friend met us there with 5 or 6 of her kids.  I was kept very busy keeping an eye on Sarah and an eye on Daniel.  I really need to be able to swivel my eyes independently by alas, I can't :-).



They have a walking trail around a little pond with ducks, and on the left side of the trail is this hill.  The older 6 went up it.  I love this shot...reminds me of the final scene of the Sound of Music. I'm glad they didn't just keep hiking into Switzerland, though.


Later yesterday afternoon, Lydia captured this butterfly. One of her little sisters was obviously excited about it (note the open mouth.)  I'm not sure which little sister it was!


We've had a cool July and, thus far, a cool August. But our pool is around 80 degrees and we're swimming quite often. Here Lydia and Isaac are enjoying a swim together. It is nice having big kids who can swim by themselves.  Naomi, like me, much prefers WARM water so she is waiting 'til it gets warmer before jumping in again. IF it gets warmer.  Where is summer?  This feels more like early fall.

This week is our official start of the homeschooling year. I like to ease into it with relatively work the first week, a little more the second week, and so on. I find that actually starting reveals glitches and problems, which I can then work through as I have time.

No comments: