Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to those of you kind enough to read my blog.

Kevin's grandmother Lydia slipped into eternity yesterday afternoon.  It was not a surprise, but it is still a shock to lose someone you have known and loved for many years. As Joseph has said many times, Thanksgiving won't be the same without her.

We do have Kevin's sister and family in town from Texas, because they came up to see Grandma Lydia one last time.  I get to meet Cheryl's new husband today, which is exciting.  Kevin met Marc during a business trip earlier this year, but none of the rest of us have met him yet. 

I'm thankful for many things right now, even though the last couple of months have been quite challenging.  I'm thankful for the Lord Jesus, most of all.  I am so thankful for the assurance that I have about Heaven. This life has some pretty hard times and sometimes the weight seems too much. I KNOW that in the end, I will go to Heaven -- not because I'm a "good" person, but because Jesus died for me.  I suppose from an earthly perspective I am pretty good, but I know that I give way to bad temper and irritability and a bad attitude and covetousness all too often. I'm guilty of so many sins, but they were all paid for me on the Cross of Christ.  Thank you, Jesus!

I'm thankful for Kevin, my wonderful husband of 16 years.  Until I was 26, I didn't have any thoughts of getting married.  The Lord very definitely brought us together.  Our marriage isn't always easy but it is always good. The hard times refine us, the good times fill us with joy.  Being parents of a large family takes tremendous effort and limits our time with one another, but we have stayed close and our love is stronger now than when we were first married.  I am thankful for many things about Kevin, but I am especially grateful that he puts a high priority on our marriage.  With 8 children, we could easily lose sight of the importance of our relationship. He doesn't let that happen.

I'm in awe of the gift of many children from the Lord.  I had our first child when I was 30.  There are women who can't conceive at 29, yet I've been pregnant 13 times.   Obviously some of those pregnancies ended in miscarriage, but to have 8 healthy, living children now is amazing!  They stretch me way behind my own ability to be a good mom, but I have Jesus and I have His wisdom.  I pray for our children often, that they will follow the path the Lord has for them.  I pray that Kevin and I will be wise as parents...each child is so delightfully unique, and what one needs, another does not. 

I am thankful for many things this Thanksgiving Day, but those are the top 3.

No comments: