Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Grandma's Funeral

Yesterday was Grandma L's funeral.  It was good. Not fun, not easy, but good. The pastor's message was touching and pointed to Christ.  More people came than I expected, which we all appreciated.  Several relatives flew in from out of town.  After the funeral, most of us followed the casket to the graveyard.  It's quite close to our home, and I have to admit that I like graveyards in general, and this one in particular.  The tombstones are interesting, the land is well kept, and there were many beautiful flowers near the gravestones.  It is strange to think of all those fathers and mothers and children and grandparents...some gone for decades.  Kevin has an aunt (Grandma L's second child) who passed away in the early 1990's, and Grandma is buried next to her.

  After all that, we went back to Grandma L's house and spent some time with the out of town relatives. I've not met many of them and it was a special time.  Grandma L was one of 11 or 12 children (I never quite figured out the number) so there were MANY cousins.  It was enjoyable meeting some of them for the first time.

  This afternoon, Kevin's uncle and aunt, from out of town, came to visit. They are on their way back to their home down South now.  So things will sort of go back to normal soon. Kevin's mom has a boatload, a BOATLOAD, of work to do as the executor of her mother's estate, and we'll help if we can.

  Now I'm going to sound like I've suddenly changed the subject dramatically, but read me out :-).

  I've had C-sections with my last 5 children.  I have thought more than once that a C-section is some kind of CRAZY operation, because a woman has a pretty major operation and then, instead of resting a lot, she has a newborn to care for.  Of course, it is the best reason in the WORLD to have major adnominal surgery, but still!

  Seeing all the Kevin's family is coping with makes me realize that in a way, losing a loved one to death is a LITTLE like a C-section.  Here they are, grieving the loss of Grandma L. Everyone has been under major stress for 3 weeks since she went downhill.  And then, on top of the emotional and physical stress, there is a ton to do in terms of arrangements, dealing with the job of executor, cleaning out the refrigerator, etc.
 
  They are not the same -- I guess what I'm saying is sometimes, just when we think we are pushed to the limit, we have even more piled on our shoulders.  I am so thankful to the Lord who gives the strength to do what HE calls us to do.  There are many times I've been unhappy with not doing enough of what I thought needed done but reality is, I am always able to do what HE calls me to do.

No comments: