Sunday, August 10, 2014

Book Review: Stories of Faith and Courage from World War II by Larkin Spivey

I got this devotional book on my Kindle, on loan from the library. It is a yearly devotional, with a short commentary plus a verse or 2 for each day of the year.  Since I only have it on loan for 3 weeks, I'm just reading through it all.  Indeed, I'm on Dec. 22nd, so I'm almost done.

Great book.  I have read a few books about World War II and obviously it was an epic time in our world's history.  This devotional ties in stories about the war with specific spiritual truths.

There are many useful ideas and thoughts, but perhaps the overarching message for ME is that it is easy to get wound up about little things. I read about bombing raids on English and German cities, and Hiroshima, and the sufferings of prisoners of war, and I realize how easy it is for me to get upset about stuff that just doesn't matter.

Another thing that occurs to me is that in a way, life is simpler (though certainly not easier) when life revolves around a grand, national goal.  Certainly there was much disagreement during World War II about how best to fight the Axis powers, but in general the whole nation was united in the war effort after Pearl Harbor.  Also, many people had to set aside normal pursuits in favor of supporting the war effort.  So young men went off to fight, and most just obeyed orders, instead of deciding whether to go college and what career to pursue. Women who normally would be deciding how to spend their days were pressed into hard service working in factories and on farms. Again, not easy. I don't wish I was living that life and I'm especially thankful there is no pressure for me to work outside the home, away from my children. But sometimes options are hard.  I pray for God's wisdom often because we have so many things we COULD do that sometimes I get wound up in a knot wondering if I am using my limited time as God intends.

No comments: