Saturday, August 23, 2014

First Week of Homeschooling

This was our first week of formal homeschooling for the new school year.

I know various moms do "the first day" in various ways. I read of one mom who had her daughter leave her house every morning, go around the house, then come back in the front door so that both of them formally knew she was now "at school."  That's cute.

Some moms take "first day of school" pictures of each child, and plan something special.

Those moms are not me.

Truth is, I never ever ever feel ready to "start school" for the year. There are always more papers to print out, more to study and investigate, more preparation.  So I've learned that I just need to pick a day and get started.

I've also learned that we all do better if we ease into our homeschooling year. So last week was mellow.  The 6 older kids all had school, but not very much school. We did a little math, and some algebraic Balance Benders pages, and some reading.  This week, we'll add some more subjects but not a full load.

In addition to school, we enjoyed some swimming in our pool (which counts as physical education) and I had 3 well child checkups.  Rose was 8 lb 15 oz, which means our little lady has gained close to 3 lbs in 2 months. I'm pleased with that!  Angela and Joseph somehow missed well child checkups for 2 years!  I don't know HOW I did that, and I feel badly as I think there is value in having a basic checkup every year.  But neither has scoliosis or any other obvious issue, and both are growing well.  Angela has always been thin -- she was our smallest baby at only 5 lb 12 oz at birth. She's now on the 75% height curve and has moved from 5th to 10th percentile on the weight curve.  Joseph is also pretty tall, 75th or 80th percentile.  He has actually dropped on the weight chart to around 25th percentile.  He used to be a chunky boy (quite a bit like Daniel) but he has slimmed out the last few years.  He is a good eater except that he loathes fruit -- but he does eat lots of vegetables.  He's just naturally thin, like so many of his siblings.  We actually have only one child is who is a little short for her age, and that is our sweet Miriam.  There is nothing wrong with being short.  I'm guessing when all the kids have grown up, many will tower over her but that is fine :-).

So, first week down.  It went pretty well.  There are always so many virtual balls in the air and with Rose needing frequent feedings and care, I feel very busy and stretched.  I keep praying for wisdom about how to spend my limited time and energy, and I am working on having FAITH that everything I am supposed to do, I can and will do with God's strength.

No comments: