Thursday, December 11, 2014

One More Reason to Love My Kindle

I do LOVE my Kindle.  Dozens of good books in one small electronic device?  It is like heaven to someone who loves to read as much as I do.

I started using a special feature a few weeks ago, and have been having much fun with it.  If I carefully tap the screen and highlight a word, it'll pop up with a definition from some online dictionary.

I enjoy some of Georgette Heyer's romances and have read them over and over again.  In spite of my large vocabulary, she uses many esoteric and unusual words for which I don't know the meaning.  I have gathered from context what they PROBABLY mean, but I'm having much fun using the online dictionary when I run into a weird word.  Interestingly, the dictionary doesn't know some of the words either!  She definitely used a wide range of words and many of them were common during the period she is writing about (usually the Napoleonic War period) and aren't in common usage now.

So that's fun.  Love the Kindle.


No comments: