Wednesday, January 7, 2015

I Don't Miss the Chickens

I know this is random, but I don't miss our chickens.

That honestly surprises me. We had chickens for several years and they were charming. They clucked, they strutted, they pecked, they laid eggs. What's not to like?

Well, there were some negative things. They were dirty. They occasionally keeled over and died, or were attacked by predators.  Chickens are so STUPID that they more or less just die when a predator shows up, because they have no clue how to defend themselves or get away.

When Kevin got his new, challenging position at work, we decided it was time to simplify our lives and get rid of the chickens.

Once they were gone, it was surprising how many chores went away. I did relatively little with the chickens, but even I found mornings (in particular) more relaxing.  I no longer need to put eggs away in the morning. I no longer have to package them up for sale when we have too many. I no longer need to make sure nasty chicken byproducts are safely cleaned off the counters.

So yes, it was a good experience having chickens, but I don't miss them. Sometimes it is best to simplify.


1 comment:

Sarah Heywood said...

I can't imagine liking chickens in the first place! I had never met anyone in my life who had their own chickens until Paul and I started dating. His mom had a flock. Those nasty things stunk and tried to peck me. I've never developed a fondness for them (although I will pay extra for farm eggs).