Thursday, March 5, 2015

Eating For One

  It occurred to me 2 days ago that I am essentially "eating for one" now, after 18 months of eating for 2.  During pregnancy, I had relatively little trouble eating appropriately to sustain a little growing baby.  After Rose's birth, I knew I needed to eat and drink early and often to maintain milk supply so I got in the habit of snacking frequently, often on chocolate!

  So now I'm nearly done weaning Rose and I'm thinking...hmmm...I need to not eat just for the sake of eating. I've always been one of those annoying souls who loses weight easily, and I don't generally eat "for fun". And I'm diabetic, which limits what I can eat.  And I'm moderately active as I tear around the house chasing children.  So I hope I won't gain a bunch of weight from snacking randomly.

  I keep remembering something that Mary Lou Retton said (for those of you who are too young to recognize her name, she was a Olympic gold medal winner in gymnastics when I was a child).  Her gymnastics regimen was so physically demanding that she ate a CRAZY amount and stayed thin as a rail. After she retired from gymnastics, she had to totally adjust her eating habits so she wouldn't gain a lot of weight.

  So I need to be self controlled and wise as I eat for one now.

No comments: