Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Very Minor Epiphany (About Clothes Shopping)

  I heroically took Lydia to Kohl's this week.

 I say heroically because I usually dislike clothes shopping.

  And I had a minor epiphany this week about WHY!

  You know what is wrong with department stores?  They aren't organized properly!

  Here I am, a size 12-ish 45 year old woman.  All I want to do is find clothes that fit me.

 But can I?  Can I?  NO...everything is spread out in a bewildering way!  What is the method?  What is the scope?  What is the sequence?

  Is it by fashion designer?  That does me NO good.  I don't know which designers I like.  I don't know anything about designers.

  Is it separated such that all sales items are in one area of the store?  No, not really.  How about by size?  No.  How about having all the pants in one area?  No.  How about having all the inexpensive lines in one area of the store, and the more expensive clothing lines in another area?  No.

  It doesn't make any sense.  It is inefficient. I find it extremely annoying.

  And maybe that is why I do somewhat enjoy Goodwill shopping.  Because Goodwill, and St. Vincent De Paul thrift stores ARE arranged more by size and type of clothing. I can just briskly go through a certain size of, say, short sleeved shirt and maybe find something I like.

  Obviously I'm weird.  Most women enjoy shopping.  They don't treat clothes shopping like a hunting expedition. For most sensible women, shopping is an experience. A fun one.

  But not me.  The older I get, the more I'm into efficiency.  The older I get, the more I want items organized so I can quickly and easily find them, bag them, and take them home (after paying, of course.)

  Of course, I know I'm not the whole world and I don't expect the world to cater to my unique (oddball) personality.

 I just feel better knowing why the vast array of clothes in Kohl's makes me want to run for the exit.

2 comments:

Lana said...

I am not a recreational shopper either.

whimsy2 said...

I shop at thrift stores because I love the hunt for the unexpected wonderful thing. And the prices, of course. . IMHO there are NO pants that are worth a couple of hundred dollars, Or even 50. I don't care how fine the craftmanship is. And too, I don't like wearing the same clothes as everyone else. Recycling is good! I've bought big-name-label clothes at the Goodwill and other thrift stores for years.