Friday, May 15, 2015

Godliness With Contentment is Great Gain

1 Timothy 6:6

6But godliness with contentment is great gain.


I'm reading a book that has nothing to do with my particular life circumstances (THANKFULLY!) but the Lord is using it as He often uses random books and information.

It is called Flying Solo by Christian author Denise Hildreth Jones.  This lady is a published author of many fiction books, none of which I have read. But Flying Solo is a diary of the year of her divorce.  She didn't want to be divorced, it broke her heart, and this book lays bare much of the anguish associated with losing her husband to divorce.

She was married for more than a decade, and was in her late 30's when she and her husband divorced. She doesn't explain in any detail why they divorced, nor why they didn't have any children together.  She wanted children but perhaps life choices or infertility barred the way.

Anyway, single, divorced at age 37 or 38. Not what she wanted. She was lonely and grieving and sorrowful.

This is, thankfully, not my life AT ALL.

What keeps coming to mind as I read this book is how easy it is for me to take for granted certain blessings in my life.  AND how easy it is for other people to take for granted certain blessings in THEIR lives.

Our ability to have children was and is a blessing!  I have had acquaintances and friends with infertility challenges.  I never waited long, but I have a glimpse of the sorrow of wanting a child and not having one.  Or haveing one, or 2, or 3 children, and longing for more. But obviously JUST a glimpse.

I am never lonely.  Denise Jones struggled mightily with loneliness the first year of her divorce. She hated being home alone though did have loving dogs.  And dogs and cats and pets ARE great. But they are not the same as a loving husband and children.

On the other hand, there are things that Denise took ENTIRELY for granted that are out of my reach due to family obligations.

Her book is filled with casual references to horseback riding and visiting fancy restaurants, and going on a cruise, and trips to various cities as part of publicity for her books.  She had a remarkably open schedule. She apparently went where she wanted, when she wanted. And never thought twice about it.

One of the realities of children, especially small children, is that they tie you down.  Amy Carmichael went to India as a missionary, but God opened the door for her to start caring for orphaned children and girls presented by their parents to the temple gods.  After a while, Amy realized she couldn't travel freely all over because the children needed more stability.  A proverb in India at the time said that children "tie the feet."

They are very worth being tied down for.  Babies and preschoolers and toddlers and grade school kids and teens are all worth the limitations they impose.  

Life is actually somewhat more free for me now because the olders can watch the youngers, whereas just a few years ago I had to take everyone, everywhere, with me.

But still, every trip out of the house requires some planning, and I can't be gone long.  

I was at a homeschool meeting last night and there was talk of a specific Christian retreat for women.  The idea is that 6 to 8 women go to a Florida beach house and spend time relaxing, worshiping, and rejuvenating. The lady next to me said, "Maybe in 6 years when my youngest is in college."  I said, "I'm so far out from such a possibility that I won't even think about it."

It is so important to be content.  Denise Jones had every reason to grieve, and grieving was appropriate. But I know she also rejoiced about some of the blessings of that season of her life.

For me, the reality of loving husband and children is something I've had for a very long time, and perhaps I DO take everyone for granted at times.  I haven't felt the sting of loneliness, and thankfully haven't experienced the heart rending pain of a marriage failing.

So I need to focus on what I DO have, and not focus on what I don't have.  I need to be content!

No comments: