Saturday, September 26, 2015

Book Review: Between a Rock and a Grace Place by Carol Kent

  This is the second book I've read by Carol Kent.  Her story is a sad and challenging one, but she has managed to find contentment in life and blessed many people through her books.

  The first is When I Lay My Isaac Down, which describes the incarceration of her only child, Jason, for first degree murder.  There was no question that Jason did commit the murder of his stepdaughters' biological father, because he was afraid the father was going to abuse the girls.   The various underlying issues that resulted in the murder are fascinating but ultimately it is all a tragedy, both for the man who died,  and his family, and for Jason and his family.

  This book, Between a Rock and a Grace Place, is full of personal stories (Carol's stories and others as well) and Scripture about persevering and finding contentment regardless of one's circumstances.

  I have to admit that I feel weird about the Kents' situation.  Weird and horrified and grieved.  I consider my children a huge responsibility and I suppose like most parents, I really want them to do well in adulthood. What "well" looks like, I don't know. I want them to follow the Lord. I want them to work jobs that are satisfying and useful -- whether that is in the workplace or at home as parents to children.

  The thought of all my kids ending up in prison due to first degree murder is just dreadful. Of course, I can pretty much guarantee that ALL my kids won't end up in prison like that, and it is almost certain that none will (Lord, please protect my kids from going nuts and murdering people!)  I don't know why the Kents had only one child and that's none of my business or concern, but they sort of put all their parenting eggs in one basket (to use a complicated metaphor) and until Jason was in his late 20's, he lived an exemplary life.  And then, murder, public and ugly trial, a life sentence, and a series of denied appeals.  So now the Kents are facing life without grandchildren (the wife and stepdaughters have moved on, apparently) and their son is stuck in prison 'til he dies.

  Yep, that is a hard thing to cope with.

 And it is a good message for me. I'm a perfectionist and I like things to be clean, neat, tidy, and good.  I dislike a messy house (though our house often IS messy) and get down about it.  Compared to what the Kents have gone through, I don't have anything to complain about.  But I still do. I still feel dissatisfied with life and fret about the difference between my ideal, and reality.

  Carol Kent's ideal is as far from reality as the earth is from the sun.  But she's content.  She's learned to thank the Lord for what she can. Jason has committed his life to Christ, and spends much of his time working with and discipling fellow prisoners.  That is good.

  I guess another point is that this life really is a blip in eternity.  To me, the thought of languishing in prison for decades until death is horrifying.  The death penalty seems easier. But we all need to embrace what the Lord has for us.  Sometimes it is pretty hard.  Sometimes is very hard.  Jason, of course, "deserves" his fate in that he stalked and murdered a man in cold blood, though his mental state was pretty wonky at the time.  But I still feel sad for him.  God is loving him, and using him, where is at.  That' s a great thing.

 


No comments: