Friday, May 20, 2016

Busy Week WITHOUT Officially Homeschooling


     This lovely pile of binders is what I took to my homeschool assessment last night.  Ohio law requires that each year, a homeschooled child is either tested or assessed by a certified Ohio teacher.  We always go the assessment route, and last night was our assessment.

    I spent the last couple of weeks finishing up the portfolios for our older 6 kids.  Our assessor went through each portfolio and we talked about how the children are doing academically. It is always a good review of our year and our assessor gives me good ideas for the future.

  Naomi has been SUPER busy the last couple of weeks.  We are close to finishing her 50 hours of driving (with us) so she can take her test to get her driver's license. All we have to do is 2.2 hrs more of night driving. Of course, night driving is a bit challenging to come by in May, when the days are so long.  But we'll make it happen in the next couple of weeks.

  Naomi is also taking a 1 credit class this summer at a nearby community college.  Last week she had to take a placement test and attend orientation.

  Last, but not least, Naomi is starting a part time job for a local tech firm, headed by a friend of ours.

  So with all that Naomi has needed to do, and Rose being crazy, and the need to pull things together for portfolios, I decided to take a break from school.

  The kids have not sat around twiddling their thumbs. As usual, they have been busy and interested.

  There is a homeschooling method known as "unschooling" where parents don't direct their children at all academically, but do provide them with opportunities to learn and grow in the areas they are excited about.

 Given my orderly personality, the unschooling method isn't appealing long term. I have to say, though, that when the kids are let loose they often are amazingly creative. Here are just a few things they've taken up this week.


Reading.  I pulled our literally 100 books this week from the library, and the older 6 (except for Naomi) have been reading a lot.



The kids got very excited about blocks and dominos and army men and a mixture of all 3.  


Our younger  kids (except for Rose) also did some painting in our sun room.

And here is cuteness personified.


For one brief moment, she sat still and quietly drank her milkie.






1 comment:

Sarah said...

I gathered all our stuff, or what I have, yesterday for our assessments on Friday. Glad our assessor is laid back as some would be totally upset with the lack of paper and stuff I have to show. I am trying to streamline stuff because I hate having all that paper and stuff lying around year after year - so I was happy to know I don't have a lot to keep after assessments are done.